New SEO FEATURES in MAGENTO 2.0
1. New SEO FEATURE in MAGENTO 2.0
2. Magento is one of the most powerful platforms in terms of SEO. By default, it has a bunch of useful SEO features to easily optimize site URLs, page titles and meta tags, ALT tags, H1 headings, etc. Here we are going to run a side-by-side comparison of the default SEO features that shortly released Magento 2 version has in comparison to Magento 1 platform.
3. Key SEO Improvements in Magento 2.0: 1. The ability to add rich snippets and organize structure markup data 2. The ability to optimize search engine indexation by editing robots txt files from the admin panel 3. A more complex and extensive set of tools and options for optimizing category pages.
4. SEO Improvements and Product Page Optimization: SEO feature M1 M2 Setting meta title, meta description for each product page Yes Yes Setting URL keys for different store views Yes Yes Product Fields Auto-Generation Template No Yes Using Canonical Link meta tag for products Yes Yes Using Categories Path for Products URLs Yes Yes
5. Product Fields Auto-Generation This new feature consist in forming the product meta tags using available product attributes according to the predefined templates. You can find it in your admin panel under Stores –> Configuration –> Catalog –> Catalog. But, there is a downside: this feature changes meta-text for all products as it uses only one template.
6. Category Page Optimization SEO Feature M1 M2 Setting meta title, meta description and meta keywords for each chosen category page Yes Yes Setting URL Keys for different store views Yes Yes Preserving the same URL format for category pages when filters are used No Yes
7. When it comes to category page optimization, it’s vitally important to set up canonical URLs rightly. The point is that a lot of duplication can be caused by layered navigation. The URL Preservation feature gets rid of the query parameter URLs so whatever you sort or arrange categories using the available filter options, the category page URL will remain basically the same and won’t include URL parameters as limit, sort, and mode. This will take care of a lot of canonical issues on category pages. Category Page Optimization
8. Sitemaps On the one hand Magento has massively improved it’s default XML sitemaps. And on the other hand, there is no HTML sitemap at all. SEO Feature M1 M2 XML sitemap features Yes Enhanced HTML sitemap features Yes No
9. XML sitemap improvements - Ability to separately specify the frequency and the priority of each page. It can be either a product page or category page or CMS page. - Ability to automatically add the XML sitemap to your robots.txt file and edit it via the admin panel. - Ability to add images - Ability to use the Sitemap Index and allow you to define different parameters on splitting items between XML files.
10. Schemas Magento 2 has an impressive set of tools for optimizing structure markup data. SEO Feature M1 M2 Rich Snippets Functionality No Yes
11. Now you can make your pages stand out in search results by displaying such attributes as rating stars, price, currency and even the product image. It’s very rare when you can actually see product image in rich snippets. This feature is enabled in the system by default, so you don’t need to go through the site and then configure it. So it’s an advantage because no technical knowledge is required. But on the other hand if you would like to configure it somehow then there’s no way to do that now. Schemas
12. Editing Robots.txt file In Magento 2 you can easily edit a Magento robots.txt file via the admin panel. Go to Stores –> General –> Design to update your file. SEO Feature M1 M2 The ability to add robots.txt files via the admin interface No Yes
13. So, let’s summarize it Magento 2 default SEO functionality is more powerful than its predecessor. The absence of an HTML sitemap seems a little disappointing, but upon the whole, we can see a row of new features and significant improvements.
14. Links & Resources •MageWork: Article on Magento 2 SEO Potential •How SEO Friendly is Magento 2.0? with Vitaly Gonkov •Magento 2 SEO Extensions by Mageworx
15. FIND MORE USEFUL MAGENTO TIPS ON HTTP://MAGETIPS.COM